Growers and associates of the Queensland strawberry industry came together recently to launch the 2017 winter growing season and to recognise those who have made a significant contribution to the industry.
The Queensland Strawberry Industry annual dinner and awards night was held at the Caloundra Events Centre on the Sunshine Coast on Friday, May 12.
The evening was an opportunity to recognise and award those who have been an integral part of the industry.
The awards acknowledge both growers and associates for contributions to the industry in areas such as sustainable and biological farming, improvements in quality standards, excellence in service delivery and much more.
The awards went to:
- Outstanding achievement in on-farm management practices to improve fruit quality – John Linsday, Suncoast Harvest
- Excellence in sustainable and biological farming practices – John Coco, Coco and Sons
- Strawberry Industry Services Award for Excellence in Service Delivery – Frank Scherpenseel, Driscolls
- Strawberry Industry Services Award for Excellence in Logistics – Sweets Strawberry Runners
- Exceptional Women in Industry Award – Jane Stothart. Stothart Family Farms
- Industry Young Guns Award – Ben Davey, Berry Patch Marketing
- Old Codgers Award – Peter Young, Braetop Berries
- Movers and Shakers Award – Joe Cufari
- Hall of Fame Award – Maurie Carmichael