SOME hard nuts in the Australia Football League are helping promote the benefits of eating almonds.
Australian Almonds has commenced its second year of a partnership with the AFL Players' Association.
According to Australian Almonds, the key benefit of the relationship is the involvement of a range of AFLW and AFL players as Ambassadors for Australian Almonds.
AA has created a number of video pieces for each ambassador, as well as recipe cards which are promoted via the social media platforms of the AFL PA and Australian Almonds.
- Grant cracks huge almond market
- Nuts supercharge quality of sperm: study
- Investment blooms as new food markets go nuts for almonds
The partnership aims to create content that will engage Australian consumers and will communicate key messages, particularly that almonds are a healthy, high protein snack, and that almonds are an ideal snack for recovery after training or sport.
The 2018 ambassadors are:
- Richelle Cranston (AFLW – Melbourne FC)
- Tiarna Ernst (AFLW – Western Bulldogs)
- Andrew Carrazzo, father of triplet daughters (past player Carlton FC)
- Tom Mitchell (Hawthorn FC)
- Jaeger O’Meara (Hawthorn FC)
- Travis Boak (Port Adelaide FC)
One element within the partnership has been to promote the Australian Almonds Hard Nut competition, where people enter their favourite "hard nut" from a sporting or more personal family perspective.
The winner was a female player from Powerhouse Football Club in St Kilda who was treated to a visit at training from Tiarna Earnst on the eve of making finals.
The AFL Players Association has published a list of why players are keen on almonds:
- Almonds are the perfect snack to keep in your bag between work and training because they are full of fibre and protein
- There are fantastic health benefits from only eating a handful of almonds per day – whether as a snack or incorporated into meals
- Almonds have been proven to assist in exercise recovery so they’re ideal after training – full of healthy fats and protein
- Almonds are the ultimate healthy snack for people who lead busy, active lives
- Almonds can be incorporated into countless healthy recipes, such as salads, breakfast dishes, desserts and main meals
- Almonds can play an important role in maintaining a healthy heart as they are rich in healthy fats
- Almonds are a versatile nut and can be incorporated into your daily diet in so many ways - for flavour, texture or crunch